An Estate

Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2016


Due to the nature of my job, I have the pleasure of getting to visit a variety of different sites. Some are little residences, some are old nurseries or undeveloped properties, and sometimes I get the rare pleasure of encountering an estate. This house featured here is just a very small portion of a large and awesome property. Unfortunately, I don't really want to breach any sort of professional confidentiality. It's such a shame because I would love to share the amazingness of some of these places I visit with the world. I'd love to share things like the little details in the decaying building or the beautiful view or lush rolling meadow. I can't though, as these places I visit are often being considered for some sort of revitalization. Now, sometimes this means restoring property or adding on to it. Other times this means accepting that the cost of restoration will far outweigh demolition and rebuilding. Take a look at houses down the Jersey Shore. That's a prime example. It didn't pay to deal with the mold and structural damage for many. It was easier just to rebuild.

The problem with "development" is that we get nostalgic. I see the potential of what was. It seems that many people fall into this trap as well and they never move to the next step. They don't always the potential of what could be. It's the same in many other aspects of life. We fear the unknown. We hear horror stories of how things can and will go wrong so we don't take a leap. Things have always been that way so why stir the pot. The funny thing is that you had to disturb something to the place you are now and that's a fact that is often forgotten.



Hitching post?

Or maybe I'm just busy convincing myself I didn't sell my soul.

These things really aren't black and white. I have this romance with history that I can't shake. So in the meantime, I'll keep visiting places and appreciating them in the moment, accepting whatever their fate may be. I'll remember those little details of things that really worked about a place and try to use them for future. What good is the past if we don't learn anything from it?

I hope to start writing again about the places I encounter. I had fallen off the wagon multiple times, but I never really forget about this little nook of the internet.



Post a Comment