Another Shout-out to the Great Central Park

Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Being so close to NYC, it's almost a shame I don't make it out to Central Park more often-- or any of the other city parks for that matter but that's besides the point. Every time I go there I discover something new. This isn't to say I've been there that many times (maybe a dozen,) but it's certainly a gem in the heart of Manhattan. Last time I was there was back in February.

Recent circumstances found me staying in a hotel with my boyfriend (the Roosevelt for those familiar with it) faced with the prospect of spending 3 hours all alone in the middle of a sunny Saturday while the dear boyfriend worked. Being only 13 blocks or so from Central Park, it seemed pretty obvious what I was going to do. Armed with my camera, I went on an adventure to explore. 

Blurry selfie in the hotel

Model boats


I spent my first 15 minutes or so sitting in the "Conservatory Water" section. It was pretty wonderful seeing a whole array of people from different walks of life, speaking so many different languages. The little model sailboats were also pretty darn adorable. It was also kind of funny seeing so many parents out with their kids trying to teach them how to maneuver the boats (some more successfully than others.)

After that I got up and mindlessly wandered about, following paths rather haphazardly. Unsurprisingly I ended up at Turtle Pond and Belvedere Castle, as seems to be the case almost every time I go to Central Park.

Dramatic shot of turtle pond

View from Belvedere

At some point I ended up on the ramble and discovered a cute path off of the main trail.

Off the beaten path

Virginia creeper

Bumblebee making love to a rose

Fun fact: the ramble was once a symbol of homosexuality, as many would seek "private encounters" in the secluded woods

Some more wandering brought me to a peek of The Lake filled with couples in rowing away in their boats. If I weren't alone I would have seriously considered renting a boat and taking it for a ride. Alas, an experience for another time I suppose.


The Lake

One thing that often delights me about the park is the variety of just about everything-- plants, spaces, views. I later found out after eavesdropping on a very excitable older couple that it is apparently a hot spot for birdwatchers.

Pretty azaleas

Bee balm

Oops, too lazy to crop the picture. Enjoy some Indian strawberry


Before I knew it, it was already time for me to head back and out of the park to meet up with aforementioned boyfriend.



This marionette performing artist did give me pause on the way out though. And a wedding with a lot of dogs. 

What a wonderful park.

Post a Comment