Return of the MAGICICADA

Posted on Friday, June 21, 2013

If anyone lives in the Northern Jersey area and you haven't been to Ramapo Reservation, I have one piece of advice for you: put on your hiking shoes and get your booty there asap. It's got 19.7 miles of hiking trails with an array of things I personally love: waterfalls, ponds, abandoned buildings, and outlooks. With 11 different marked trails there's enough variation for all types of hikers from the beginner to the more advanced. Additionally, if 3,313 acres aren't enough for you, trails connect to Ringwood State Park for even more outdoor fun.

Recently, I had to pleasure of going on a short hike of approximately 2 hours with one of my best hiking buds: Tyger. Unfortunately, this was another time when I lacked my fancy camera. So please bear with the camera phone pictures. The trailhead features a lovely warning about copperheads and timber rattlers. Somehow in my years of going there, never happened to see this sign as I always took a different entrance. It kind of reminded me of my time at Kakiat Park

Snakessss


Since it was a really nice Sunday afternoon that we went, I wasn't surprised to see the parking lot packed. Many were concentrated along Scarlet Oak Pond either strolling with their dogs or fishing. This pond actually used to be a gravel quarry at one time. Very cool. 

As with most of my "hikes," it was pretty unplanned. We followed the blue trail past a waterfall and up to an outlook. It honestly didn't take that long. Maybe 30 minutes? I did notice something kind of weird as we approached the outlook though.

Look over there <--


Tyger don't care

Weird noises. Coupled with weird holes in the ground. Weird.

Turns out it was those things we've all been hearing about. You know, those cicadas that emerge every 17 years- the magicicada. Honestly, I almost didn't believe there were any in the area, because before this I hadn't seen any.

The fabled Magicicada

By the time we approached the outlook, it was super apparent what they were. What was amazing was the sheer number of them flying back and forth, nearly smashing into us. Then there were the clusters of 5 or so of them scattered around on the ground here and there, clinging to life and clutching each other. Kind of cute in a sad way. Kind of gross in a clusters-of-insects way.

Besides the wonder of the Halloweeny little cicadas, I was treated with a great view and a beautiful little mountain top with a cool variety of plants. There was an amazing variety of mosses, colorful little flowers, and a really pretty grass. It makes me wish I was better with plant ID. Not that that would really do anything for me. I would just know what they were called. 

Beautiful

Loved this grass so much

After the outlook, we continued along the blue trail for another 30-45 minutes or so. It was really nice that despite the fact that the park seemed packed when we entered, by the time we got far along enough on the trail we didn't encounter anyone else. I wonder if there are any cool maps on how far visitors typically go into a large park.
Why hello there


Anyway, overall it was a super pleasant hike that definitely had some more strenuous parts (just like I like it!) If I had to rate this park I'd give it a 9/10. The only thing that could make it better would be if the trailhead kiosk actually had maps to take. With so many trails, it's easy to lose track of where you are. Other than that, it's really a great park.

Post a Comment